If you're planning a visit to the UK you'd do worse than consult the latest Ultimate United Kingdom Travelist from Lonely Planet - which names the Edinburgh Fringe Festival as the top attraction.
The Lonely Planet has scoured every inch of the UK, Northern Ireland, and Channel Islands to compile the ultimate UK Travel Guide, made up of 500 attractions with the Fringe Festival coming out first. With London's British Museum and Northern Ireland's Giant's Causeway coming in third, in 2019.
Read more: 5 things to do in London
Speaking about its first choice, Lonely Planet said the Fringe Festival "floods the city with art and nowhere beats it for spectacle or scale.
"There is theatre, comedy, dance, circus, cabaret, opera, music, and spoken word, and whatever the time of day, an acrobat, trapeze artist, contortionist or tried-and-tested bagpiping busker will be pleased to entertain you. Simply step through the looking glass and prepare to be dazzled by the greatest show of arts and culture on Earth.”
Lonely Planet Ultimate United Kingdom Travelist
- Edinburgh Festival Fringe, Edinburgh
- British Museum, London
- Giant’s Causeway, Northern Ireland
- Bath, Southwest England
- Hadrian’s Wall, Northeast England
- Sunday pub roast
- Tate Modern, London
- Stonehenge, Southwest England
- Windermere, Cumbria
- Pembrokeshire Coast National Park, South Wales
- Punting in Cambridge, East Anglia
- Glastonbury Festival, Southwest England
- St Paul’s Cathedral, London
- The Scilly Isles, Southwest England
- Stratford-upon-Avon, Midlands, and The Marches
- Borough Market, London
- Glencoe, Highlands, and Islands
- Yorkshire Dales National Park
- Arthur’s Seat, Edinburgh
- South Bank, London
* Originally published in Aug 2019.
Read more: Top tips to know before you visit Britain