Baby Archie Archie Mountbatten-Windsor's christening may have been a private affair, but news has leaked that Harry's longtime friend Charlie van Straubenzee was chosen as godfather. Here's everything you need to know about the mystery man
The latest royal christening was a low-key private affair, with new parents Meghan and Harry only releasing two photos from the day. Prince Harry and Meghan Markle said in a statement released earlier in the week that they would not be sharing the names of royal baby Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor’s godparents.
View this post on Instagram
This morning, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s son, Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor was christened in the Private Chapel at Windsor Castle at an intimate service officiated by the Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are so happy to share the joy of this day with members of the public who have been incredibly supportive since the birth of their son. They thank you for your kindness in welcoming their first born and celebrating this special moment. Their Royal Highnesses feel fortunate to have enjoyed this day with family and the godparents of Archie. Their son, Archie, was baptised wearing the handmade replica of the royal christening gown which has been worn by royal infants for the last 11 years. The original Royal Christening Robe, made of fine Honiton lace lined with white satin, was commissioned by Queen Victoria in 1841 and first worn by her eldest daughter. It was subsequently worn for generations of Royal christenings, including The Queen, her children and her grandchildren until 2004, when The Queen commissioned this handmade replica, in order for the fragile historic outfit to be preserved, and for the tradition to continue. Photo credit: Chris Allerton ©️SussexRoyal
However, the UK’s Sunday Times reported that a royal source revealed Charlie van Straubenzee is one of the godfathers.
I can exclusively reveal that Charlie van Straubenzee, one of Prince Harry’s oldest, closest friends, is a godfather to Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor. More on Archie’s big day @thesundaytimes including Harry and Meghan’s touching tribute to Dianahttps://t.co/uzRUYPP6i4— Roya Nikkhah (@RoyaNikkhah) July 6, 2019
So, what do we need to know about the man tasked with Archie's spirtual upbringing?
Who is Charlie van Straubenzee?
- Charlie van Straubenzee is one of three sons of Alexander and Clair van Straubenzee and works as a British investment executive.
- He is currently with Brown Advisory, an investment company, as the firm’s Head of U.K. financial intermediaries.
- He has been friends with Prince Harry since the pair met at Ludgrove Prep School in Berkshire, England.
- Charlie wed Daisy Jenks in August of 2018 and Harry and Meghan were guests at the wedding, with Harry reportedly taking on duties of best man.
- Charlie has an older brother called Thomas Van Straubenze who is best friends with Prince William and was named as Princess Charlotte’s godfather.
- Charlie had another old brother named Henry who died in a car crash in 2002.
- Charlie graduated in 2010 from the University of Newcastle upon Tyne, and after leaving school, he worked as part of the sales team at Jupiter Asset Management.
- He gave a speech at Harry and Meghan's wedding which was reportedly a big hit. According to various reports, Charlie's speech was a big hit and included anecdotes about Harry's days as a dormitory monitor - and how ironic it was that he was the monitor when he was the most mischievous kid of all.