A new BBC documentary has sparked a rare joint reaction from Buckingham Palace, Kensington House, and Clarence House
This Monday, the first episode of the two-part The Princes And The Press programme, presented by Amol Rajan aired, and the show included suggestions of royal sources speaking to journalists behind the scenes.
The premise of the show was to shine a light on what is believed to be one of the most fascinating times in modern Royal history. Following the Queen's Diamond Jubilee in 2012, Prince Harry and Prince William's relationship reportedly changed with the media.
In response to the documentary being aired, Buckingham Palace, Clarence House, and Kensington House have issued a joint statement.
The statement says
"A free, responsible and open press is of vital importance to a healthy democracy," the statement said. "However, too often it is overblown and unfounded claims from unnamed sources that are presented as facts and it is disappointing when anyone, including the BBC, gives them credibility."
It wasn't the only part of the documentary that was contested. Meghan Markle's publicist featured in the documentary, rubbishing claims that Meghan Markle was a bully in the Royal workplace. She said "Those stories were false. This narrative that no one can work for the Duchess of Sussex, she was too difficult and demanding as a boss and everyone had to leave, it's just not true."
As well as this, there was also an apology from a private investigator featured in the piece, who targetted the phone of Prince Harry's ex-girlfriend, and admitted he helped 'rob' the Prince of his early years.
Gavin Burrows said there had been a "ruthless" culture in parts of the media during the early 2000s when he said Chelsy Davy's phone had been under surveillance.
Royal family slam BBC documentary in extraordinary joint statement https://t.co/ur2vWWl4AI— Mail+ (@mailplus) November 23, 2021